Asked on Jan 3, 2019

How do I paint over dark trim?

Within the GroveWilliamKelli L. Milligan
+2

I am planning on repainting the inside of my home. The trim throughout the home including windows is trimmed in dark wood. I would like to paint all trim white and liven up the walls with color

• Leisa Yeager

Primer first then paint...make sure it is a good primer

• Shore grandmom

First lightly it, then use a primer. Then you're ready to paint. Just keep in mind that once you paint over wood stain, it's very hard if not impossible to change it back.

• Kelli L. Milligan

Sounds great. Lightly sand, use a high quality oil based primer, lightly sand smooth, caulk if necessary after priming. Let caulk set up 1 day. Paint 2 coats of oil based paint. You can use latex, but you'll have better luck of not chipping with Oil. Enjoy your new look!

Just lightly sand to remove any shine like Shore and Kelli suggest. Prime with Kilz primer. Use a good door and trim paint.

• Within the Grove

I would do a coat of primer first and then your chosen paint color. The primer will also help the paint adhere to the trim.