Mug Makes
Mug Makes
  • San Rafael, CA

Wrapping Paper Storage

$15

Each year, when the holidays wind down, I am inspired to organize and refresh. I make a mental list of the items I want to tackle and more often than not, I don’t get around to them. Well not this year! Mug is going to make organization easy.

First on my list – I realized I was in need of a better storage solution for the rolls of wrap I had left.

BEFORE…
BEFORE…

One of Mini Mug’s favorite snacks is Pringle’s (or similar, sometimes I can swap out for semi-healthier options without an epic meltdown ensuing) . Sour cream and onion to be exact. I’ve been saving the containers thinking I could do something with them. The lightbulb went off when I saw them lined up and thought “hey, that could work”. 

With a tray made out of foam core I had in my supplies, I created a simple solution I hung inside the closet. Below are the steps and supplies to create one of your own. 

wrapping paper storage

I used 5 containers for mine because it fit well on my closet door (and because Mini Mug eats A LOT of chips) but you can use as many as you want. 

First you’ll need to cut the bottoms off your chip tubes. Using a craft knife, run it along the edge of the metal bottom. 

wrapping paper storage

wrapping paper storage

Once the bottoms are removed, wrap them with your paper. What paper you use is up to you. I chose simple white because it matched my foam core, I had it already, and seeing as the wrapping paper is pretty busy, the white seemed like a good choice to me. 

wrapping paper storage

wrapping paper storage
wrapping paper storage

Your covered tubes will now be hot glued together. I took a strip of my foam core and glued them on that for added stability.

wrapping paper storage

To make the tray for the wrap to sit in, mark your foam core as shown below:

wrapping paper storage

My 15 inch length was determined by how may chip containers I used. I estimated 3 inches per container. So if you are using 4, it would be 12 inches in length. 6 containers would be 18, and so on.

You’ll cut on these lines BUT not all the way through. Just deep enough to reach the foam interior. I find, when working with foam core, the best way to cut it to repeatedly cut lightly. Less chance of slipping and injuring yourself. Plus you get a cleaner cut with more control.

wrapping paper storage

wrapping paper storage

Now it’s time to attach the tubes and tray to your wall, or I’m my case inside of the closet door.

wrapping paper storage

How far apart they are is dependent on how tall your wrapping paper rolls are but I found about 9 inched.

wrapping paper storage

When attaching your tubes onto the wall I found that pressing from inside helped avoid denting your containers.

wrapping paper storage

Now you can insert your paper and get your organization on!

wrapping paper storage
Mug Makes

• Jod

How do you get the grease residue out of the inside? You really can’t wash cardboard...so the grease would transfer to the good wrapping paper.

• Peggy

& a long stick to reach every space inside.

• Anbe

Why not just use PVC pipe and forget the chip containers?

• Shawn

What if you used 2 rows of chip cans

then you wouldn't need to make the bottom. Jod you could cut the bottom out of plastic store bag and put it in the can then put the paper in. This is a great idea. Saves space and bye bye pricey plastic containers.

• Toni
      20 hours ago

I think I see where you're going with that idea! 🤔 How about this... cut the cans in HALF, using the bottoms that are already closed off, then the other half (open-ended) is what you put the wrapping paper thru! 😁 Think I'm gonna do this for all other occasions wrapping paper, since I have SOOOOOO much Christmas wrap it takes up TWO of those traditional containers! 😆 LOL Thanks for the AWESOME idea!! 🤗

• Phyllis

Very clever. A great reason to renew my aquaintence with chips!