Asked on Jan 4, 2019

How do I paint over wallpaper?

Within the GroveEbbjdlJlnatty
+1

What type of paint can I use over vinyl wallpaper to keep from having to strip it off the wall?

• Tinyshoes

Connie...I would not paint over any wallpaper but maybe you can get some other ideas. Sorry!

• Jlnatty

Don't! You'll regret it because it won't look right at all. You'll always be able to see the seams, for one thing, and if there is even a smidgeon of dampness or humidity in the house - oh brother, eventually you could end up with a peeling mess. Test to see how easily the vinyl comes off by peeling a corner in an inconspicuous spot. If ; it may come off rather easily and then you'll only have to remove the paper backing and glue from the walls. Spray hot water in small sections or use a commercial wallpaper removal product per directions, let it soak in and use a broad blade plastic scraper to remove the paper after the glue softens. You can wipe and clean the wall as you go or wash the wall after you've removed all the paper, to get rid of glue residue.

• Ebbjdl

Connie,. DON'T paint over wallpaper. The color won't be even, it may bleed through, the weight of the paint might pull the paper in some places off the wall. Remove it, scrub the glue off, let dry completely, then paint. Aloha!

• Within the Grove

I would take the time to strip it! You don't want to have the issue down the road of peeling wallpaper + paint!