Asked on Jan 4, 2019

How do I install luxury vinyl tile over old residue from self-stick?

Naomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CATwyla J Boyer

I have purchased "click" luxury vinyl tile strips (5" wide, etc) to re-cover a 10x12 family room. The previous owner put down "self-STICK" vinyl on top of 9x9 asbestos tile. (NO hazardous waste crew lectures PLEASE. Keep the Fed out of it, as I am NOT disturbing it in ANY way.) Given I am leaving the 9x9's and want to cover it with the good stuff, it is now like FLYPAPER...with the old residue so sticky I can barely move my work boots. I don't want to use petro-chemicals. I have considered heavy builder board rolled paper as a substrate, rather than raising the floor height with backer board. Thoughts and ideas on my dilemma? Thanks a trillion, Joe.

• Twyla J Boyer

Is the tile in decent shape (not chipped and cracked, level, smooth)? If so, the rolled paper might work or one of those vapor barrier things. But if the tile is in rough shape you will need to cover it with something that actually levels it.

And asbestos is not a problem as long as it is sealed up, so don't sweat leaving it in place unless it's crumbling. If it's crumbling, seal the crap out of it before proceeding. (Asbestos is only a problem when it become airborne.) I have asbestos tile in part of my basement and put a sealant on it. Eventually I will cover it, but the mold remediation guys (who also do asbestos abatement) said that as long as it is sealed up it isn't a hazard.

• That is a dilemma. I certainly get not wanting to disturb the asbestos, Haz Mat crews, air quality testing, it's time consuming and expensive. As long as you follow local Building code, I believe it would be ok. I would give your local permit office a call and have a chat with one of the building inspectors. You just don't want to do anything that negatively impacts the home and it's insurability.