Asked on Jan 4, 2019

How to start my first garden in Texas?

2dogalLandsharkinncRowgop (Pam)
+1

How do I start a garden in Texas in time for the first growing season? When and what preparations do I need? (New to this, no established garden.)

• Kelli L. Milligan

Visit your local nursery and get some free advice for your area. Sometimes they give new homeowners discounts on mass purchases to help you achieve a successful landscape. Plus usually nursery plants have a warranty.

• Landsharkinnc

will depend on WHERE in Texas ( grow zone ) you are ... hot, humid gulf area or arid, barren west Texas! Check with your local Agricultural Agency for help -- and get to know a good greenhouse grower ... not a big box store that just wants to sell plants!

• 2dogal

The very best thing you can do for yourself and your future garden, is to contact your County Agricultural Extension Office. Since they are local, they can answer all your questions. One of the first they will tell you is what growing zone you are in. You need to know that for plant types. Then they'll suggest you get a soil test done - under $10.00 - that will tell you your soil type and what, if any additives (nutrients) it needs. They'll help you with types of plants, vegetables, lawn, trees and shrubs. They a re really supportive, knowledgeable and nice.