Farmhouse Succulent or Candle Holders

$20

This one is great, you can use it for really whatever you'd like, but I figured they make the perfect fit for candles or a small plant- like a succulent! Here's what I did.

First, grad the wood piece you'd like to use.

I cut mine in to 3 different sizes for some variety. ( 5", 8", and 10") Then I stained them each a nice dark walnut color.

Next I use my 2" bit to drill a recessed hole to the tops of each. This little space will hold my succulents. I went about an inch and a 1/2 deep.

Check out how clean the tool makes the hole! make sure to drill out the hole before staining. ( I made a whole bunch today and my arm was (numb so I did this set after... I needed a break

I added Spanish moss and hot glued the artificial succulents in the little space I made for them. I then distressed the edges with sand paper and added twine for a little visual interest.

Here are a few others I did you can also use with votive and make candle holders. I also used some real succulents in a few of them, really this can be used in many ways!

If you make a set of them, they look great stacked up as home decor, for that farmhouse rustic charm!

31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper

• Diane

How deep would it have to be if you put live plants in without the glass holders...

• Alia Coleman

You need to think about drainage for live plants. If you plant directly into the wood it won't last very long and cause an issue with mold.

• S

Why wouldn't you measure & drill ALL the holes in the long board before chopping them up into 5" - 10" pieces? They would not be as likely to spin around on your work table or drill press, even if you were using a clamp.

• Katherinelizabeth

Would probably be inclined to buy a 4x4 6ft board; I checked out the price of the wood you used and Home Depo wants some $94 for two of them! Wowow. Rough lumber could be used... even 2x4's cut to length (HD will do that for free!) and glued stacked on the short sides, stained, and tied with cording could work, too! FYI -- if you need to create varying height for decorative items, scraps of wood, painted or stained can work for that too!..

• Nancy

I don't understand your answer: "FYI it’s not a 4 x 4 it’s a 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 their custom"

• Nancy

I have known the actual size of lumber for years, I have bought quite a bit. It was the word 'custom' that threw me. LOL!

Thanks for taking the time to answer.