Asked on Jan 5, 2019

How do I dress a 5-window turret without blocking the natural light?

Kelly-n-TonySwan Road DesignsLesa Harmon
+5

We have mini blinds in all the windows, but the area looks incomplete. In the past, I’ve had point valances on these windows and I loved them, but did not love the heavy boards, bolts and screws that went into the wall. We recently filled in all the holes and painted the room. Therefore, I don’t want to destroy the beautiful finished walls! These windows are half of the light source for our great room, so need something light and airy. The other large window in this room now has white, floor-length sheers and I love this look! Is there a way to recreate that light, airy look in the turret windows without making tons of holes in the wall?

q how do i dress a 5 window turret without blocking the natural light

Turret windows on north side of our large great room.

Only other light source in this room on the south side of the house.

• Rose Broadway

Lesa, have you considered Roman Shades? They can be put up with Velcro stuck to the headers of your blinds. You can get (or make) heavy ones that block out the light or light ones that the outside light shows through.

• Lesa Harmon

Thank you, Rose! No, I had not considered Roman shades. I suppose I could get plain white ones to compliment the sheers I have on the window on the opposite side of the room. I’ll definitely look into that option! 😀

• Oliva

There are cellular shades with soft fabrics, mimicing sheers.

• Vera Furry

I use lace curtains. (white)

• Lesa Harmon

Thank you, Vera. Can you share a photo please?

• Swan Road Designs

I had a similar challenge years ago in a home I owned and solved it quite easily and inexpensively.

I screwed large white cup hooks, with opening at the top, above each outer corner of all the windows. After all the hooks were installed I measured the whole distance from the first hook to the last hook. Once I'd done that I added a few inches because I bought some clear flexible plumbing tubing that would fit in the opening of the cup hooks. I added the extra amount because I wanted to be certain any undetermined length that the curvature might cause would be accounted for.

My intention was to use fairly open lace panels, hence the clear tubing. I also bought a pair of decorative curtain end brackets to give the illusion of a traditional rod once I'd threaded the lace onto the tubing. Problem solved.

• Kelly-n-Tony

I too wanted something to finish the look and this is what I did- https://www.hometalk.com/35953556/my-bay-window-solution?r=2