Upcycle an Old Patio Umbrella to a Beautiful Painted One!

$20

We had an old faded umbrella that looked bad, but was structurally strong. We didn't want to throw it out, but knew that it definitely needed an update. With paint and time, we transformed it into a beautiful statement piece for our patio. See more pictures and details on my blog.
We used a patio umbrella from Urban Outfitters as our inspiration for our umbrella makeover.
Our patio umbrella (which we've only had about a year!) had faded really bad. It irritated me every time I was outside.
After a few unsuccessful (rolling paint and spray paint cans) paint coverage tries, I decided to break out my spray gun. I thinned regular latex paint and sprayed on a few coats. It worked like a charm.
After the paint was dry, my husband and I found the center of each section of the umbrella and taped it off. He then painted circles on each portioned section (using the painters tape circle as a guide). We kept adding to the circles by hand-painting leaves and scroll details.
Because the details were hand-painted, they aren't perfect. As a whole though, they really look nice together.
After we finished painting the details, we flipped the umbrella over and hot-glued pom-pom trim on it.
Then we set it up and marveled about how much it really added to the feel of our patio.
The only thing we had to buy was the trim which came out to just over $20. For $20, we are thrilled with the outcome.

15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
Ashley@Biggerthanthethreeofus