Curio Cabinet Makeover

$200

I picked up this cabinet at a yard sale. I didn't realize that it wasn't real wood. It looks like wood but it's some plastic type stuff the base is particle board.

curio cabinet makeover

This cabinet is going to hold my salt and pepper shakers. I needed more shelves. The shape of the cabinet didn't allow room for a drill to make holes for shelf supports so I took it apart.

curio cabinet makeover

Here it is stripped of all hardware, hinges, knobs, glass, shelf supports and lights.

curio cabinet makeover

I used acetone and a rag to strip off most of the finish.

curio cabinet makeover

This rulers holes were just the right spacing to drill new holes for the shelf support pegs. I stuck the drill bit in one of the existing holes and applied tape so I would know the depth needed for the new holes.

curio cabinet makeover

I stuck all of the hardware: screws, glass holders, shelf supports and knobs onto and into this box and spray painted them black

curio cabinet makeover

For the cabinet I made chalk paint. I bought the calcium carbonate off Amazon. It came in a plastic pouch, I put it in a glass jar and taped the instructions to the jar.

To make chalk paint I mixed:

1 cup of black acrylic craft paint

2 tablespoons of water

4 tablespoons of calcium carbonate

Mix it well and start painting

curio cabinet makeover

Paint it by sections it dries fairly quick and needed 2 coats of paint.

curio cabinet makeover

I used a smaller brush to get in all the nooks and crannies.

curio cabinet makeover

I used silver enamel craft paint and painted all the accent spots.

curio cabinet makeover

More of the detail. It's messy getting it into the grooves. I painted with a small brush and wiped off the excess. When the silver dried I touched it up with the black chalk paint.

curio cabinet makeover

I got out some paste wax I used an old paint brush to apply the wax and a cotton cloth to buff it off.

curio cabinet makeover

I had chose chalk paint because I'd heard you didn't have to sand it. But it was too rough and the white cloth left white fibers behind. If I'd had a black cloth then maybe it wouldn't have needed sanding. I used a sanding sponge and got to sanding that took off some of the paint at the edges. OK we are now going for that "Rustic" look. After sanding the wax buffed off nicely.

curio cabinet makeover

I took one of the shelves to a local glass shop and had them cut some extra shelves. It was $90 for 4 shelves with polished edges. They are slightly thicker than the original shelves.

curio cabinet makeover

This is my old cabinet it is jam packed full of salt and pepper shakers. The plan was to sell this cabinet but I think I'm going to need it so maybe I'll paint it with black chalk paint too.

curio cabinet makeover

And here it is with most of my shakers, so it looks like I'll be needing that other cabinet after all. I love it.

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/Bourne-to-be-creative-1588217798130533/?ref=bookmarks

• Carol Bellinger

I did this a few months ago. It looked great. But I love the black. I think I my do your idea. Looks much better than mine. Yours looks amazing

• Nadine Hartman Bourne

Thank you. What color did you do your's in? My step daughter has been doing her house in light colors and Iv'e been doing mine in dark. I love how everyone's tastes are different.

• Irma

I love the shape of it... makes it easy to see all of your treasures.