Ann Ambrose Dilts
Ann Ambrose Dilts
  • Atlanta, GA
Asked on Jan 6, 2019

How do I get rid of pests in my ceiling rafters?

BetsyKmdreamerCindy
+1

I have a mountain cottage with cedar ceiling rafters throughout and I see shavings on my counters when I have been gone for a few weeks. I think it could possibly be carpenter ants. Is there an effective treatment to get rid of these pests?

• Kelli L. Milligan

Spray the heck.out of it with ant spray. Are there round holes in wood above counters? Could be carpenter bees. Hopefully not termites.

• Cindy

Hi Ann. You can spritz straight white vinegar on them indoors and outdoors. Repeat in 3 to 4 days to insure you kill any that might hatch in the meantime. Ann, from what I read you would be best to call an exterminator for professional advice. Some wood boring insects lay eggs into tiny larvae that bore into wood, emerging as adults one to five years later. Wishing you all the best.

• Kmdreamer

Exsterminator

Hi Ann: This is what I used for my ant problem, it may work for you, too.

Make a mix of 1/2 baking soda and 1/2 powdered sugar. Mix well and put around the spots they are in your garden, or inside your home, it's harmless to people and pets. For outside use, you can put it in a bottle, like a pill bottle or something like that. Cut a hole on the edge of the cap, and lay the bottle on it's side so the ants can come in and get the mix. This way, it stays dry if it should rain. They will take it back to the nest and it should kill them. I'd keep it out there all season if you can. The mix makes a gas and the ants can't pass gas, so it kills them. Anything else that eats it will just taste the baking soda and say "Yuck" and walk off. It won't hurt anything that can pass gas, so it's completely safe. It helps to know what type of ant you are trying to get rid of, too. Try this site, scrolling down to see the different types of ants and how to deal with them. Good luck. https://www.thespruce.com/ant-control-4127879