Asked on Jan 6, 2019

How do I stencil a design onto painter’s cloth?

Jennifer Weber FergusonKelli L. MilliganPeggy Burnette
+2

I want to stencil a design onto painter’s drop cloth with the hopes of making a curtain. What kind of paint do I use and what kind of utensil do I apply the paint with?

• Bijous

Hi. A good drop cloth is canvas. Canvas is easy to paint. You can use gesso to stiffen, but if you want it to remain soft, paint directly on the cloth. Cut up a sponge and use with the stencil. Invest in stencil spray to stick the stencil to the cloth. Dip sponge in paint and squeeze out most of it. Dab on canvas. Too much paint is a no-no. Happy Decorating!

• Peggy Burnette

Hi Mary Ellen, this is Peggy. Here is a good article about making and stenciling painters cloth. Hope this helps you. How to Stencil Drop Cloth Curtains - Sondra Lyn at Home

1. https://sondralynathome.com/stencil-drop-cloth-curtains/

Feb 6, 2015 - I've wanted to do some stenciled drop cloth curtains for, well… forever. The look of a design painted on the natural canvas just had me ...

• Mary Ellen

Thank you Peggy for answering my question and referring me to Sondra Lyn. She explained everything I needed to know about stenciling on painter’s drop cloth. Can’t wait to try it!

• Kelli L. Milligan

Before you paint on the canvas wash it first to remove the applied chemicals to prevent paint from going thru in hot water. Iron, then stencil with fabric paint.

• Jennifer Weber Ferguson

Acrylic paints will work just fine - you can also add a Fabric Medium to the acrylic which should keep it softer if desired - I have stenciled several curtains over the years - check out my Facebook page and you should be able to find a project or two. You also want a good stencil brush and I have a ton of videos on stenciling - Artistic Painting Studio