Cathy Hays
Cathy Hays
  • Granbury, TX

Dresser Project

$60.0

I Found this little beauty at an on line auction and picked it up for a ridiculously inexpensive price tag with the idea of redoing it and using it in my bedroom. Forward Flash two years later it is still in my garage stacked next to many other various items I have collected at Estate Sales or found along the way. Hence My New Years Resolution for 2019 is to get to these projects! I need the garage space

dresser project

Here she is. She was a tad rough so even though I was going to make chalk paint to use I did sand her more than usual. The veneer was loose in a lot of places so I did have to do a bit of repair work.

dresser project

This is my choice of wood filler. I like this because it is easy to work with and it takes paint and stain. Now as far as the stain I wouldn't expect to use a huge area and have it come out beautifully but it does the job for smaller repairs. This stuff And Elmer's wood glue are my trusty go tos for most all of my projects.

dresser project

I removed the hardware and filled the holes with the wood filler and sanded it all smooth. Now normally I would leave the Original hardware on the dresser but for the Kiddo she likes the bling bling and I had these pretty oval Crystal knobs that I wanted to use, so I needed to drill new holes for them. Oh and let me mention for the sanding that I hand sanded this. These Older veneers are very delicate so I like to use a light touch and I worry that if I use my Orbital sander even with fine grit sand paper it can get away from me too fast. So a good old sanding block and some elbow grease is the way I go here.

dresser project

Added some Wood embellishment on the side. And then gave her a cleaning! I used TSP and scrubbed her down twice. Vacuumed inside and underneath and make sure you get all the dust off before you paint.

dresser project

I then Stenciled the drawers with a French Poem Stencil I had. And then I also made a flower mold to add to the leg. I used a silicon mold and Paper Clay. The Paper Clay you can take out of the mold still soft and then mold on your project. I used some wood glue to help it stick to the leg. it took about 24 hours for the flower to dry and then I could paint it.

dresser project

Painted the dresser with White Chalk Paint And The Drawers Grey Chalk Paint. Gave her Two Coats of clear Wax. Added the New Crystal Pulls. And there She is. Grandaughter Loved her! I really like how she turned out. And I have a little more room In the Garage. Hello 2019!

dresser project

Grandaughters Dresser

• Barb C

Very pretty. Just wondering what wax you used. Do you have a favorite?

TY

• Cathy Hays

I used Renaissance furniture Clear wax. And I should have included that in the materials! I will go back and add that in my post. I got it off of Amazon. It is about $20. I like this wax, it went on smoothly and has a nice sheen to it. Wax is so expensive that honestly I usually buy what I can find A good price on. And I have found that as long as you are using the correct kind of wax for the correct paint you have then buy what you can get a good price on.

Now that being said some of the lower end waxes you will probably have to reapply more often so the price really ends up costing the same in the long run. Plus who wants to wax all the time, yuck! So just be a savvy shopper and stick to the mid to higher end waxes in my opinion.

Oh. And invest in a good round wax buffer brush. I have one that fits on to my electric drill. It will save some elbow grease!

• Rosalee

Where did you find the script stencils?

• Cathy Hays

I got them off of Amazon I’m sorry I forget the exact company name as I’ve had them for a while.

• Cin29437496

Were the drawers already painted before you did the stencil?

• Anjela Bradley

Love upcycling old furniture, but what an inspiration this was,I have a wooden lamp table,so I use all these ideas I get this one I particularly love with the script on front,very original totally love it brilliant job ,well done 🤗

• Maura

Great job. So classy looking and so personal. LOVE IT