Asked on Jan 6, 2019

How do I install a window in my entry door to let more light in?

CathieGkAbigail Ellis

I priced a new entry door & they want to replace the frame too. They wanted almost $1800. Is installing a window plausible?

• Abigail Ellis

Hey Cathie, from what I've read, it's not impossible but it's also might not be as straightforward as it seems.

By entry way - do you mean front door? Something to keep in mind is that front doors are made to be more secure to protect you both from the elements and also from intruders. When you cut a window into it, it can compromise the structural integrity of the door.

That said, I am no expert so it's totally possible that what I read was misinformed. Here's a great tutorial by one of our more experienced Hometalkers that might help you get started!

https://www.hometalk.com/38845199/how-to-add-a-window-to-your-front-door

• Gk

Hello Cathie! Who wanted almost $1800.00? Is the door that much? You can buy a less expensive exterior door with a window. Or is that the total cost to install the door in a new frame--including the price of the door? If you don't like the installation price you can shop around for a different contractor. I don't know what the situation is regarding changing your door and how much work needs to be done to put the new door in--sometimes it gets complicated.

• Cathie

Lowe's. A fiberglass door with frame & a window in it & that's installation included & of course "on sale". If the door is the same dimensions (ht., wdth., depth), why do I need a whole new door frame?