Asked on Jan 7, 2019

How do I clean a fireplace?

Susan David JacobsCindyMogie
+2

My mother has a stone fireplace. Through the years the stone over the opening has become blackened. How do I clean that without having to sandblast it off?

• Linda Sikut

Hi Tussy,

I'm Linda. What you're seeing is probably from soot and smoke. TSP will work well for this. Directions are in the article below. Follow the instructions for brick for the best success. Wishing you the best.

https://www.nola.com/homegarden/index.ssf/2017/12/how_to_clean_soot_and_smoke_re.html

• Kmdreamer

Scrub brush soap and water

• Mogie

tsp

• Cindy

Hi Tussy. I'm Cindy. Begin by filling a bucket with one gallon of warm water. Add a quarter-cup of dish soap (Dawn is best), and one cup of oxygen bleach. Put drop cloth under the fireplace to keep the cleaning solution off the floor. Dip a cleaning brush into the bucket and scrub the solution into the stone. Tussy, be sure NOT to use any cleaning products with chemicals in them. They could potentially catch fire. Good luck.

• Susan David Jacobs

I saw this on a home improvement show and it worked well. They used Scrubbing Bubbles cleaner. Test a small area to make sure you like the results I used it on my brick work over my fireplace it worked great.