Asked on Jan 7, 2019

How do I cover wallpapered walls?

Emy Flint | Semigloss DesignPaulaR Walter

Good morning! I would like to know if you can paint or paper over wall paper? If so what kind of paint/paper should be used? Thank you

• R Walter

make sure that the edges of the wall paper are secure and there are no wrinkles or bubbles on the main face of the paper. You must use and oil based primer first because water based paints and primers will make the paper release from the substrate. Good luck.

• Paula

yes to both as long as the paper is not lifting. The seams are likely to show with paint. With paper, as long as your previous paper is not textured. However, a wallpaper tiger (a hardware store gadget) and some removal solution is a pretty easy job. It just takes some elbow grease and a thorough cleanup.

• I do not recommend painting over wallpaper. Do it the right way and remove it first. The next homeowners will thank you. Besides, painted wallpaper is always going to look like painted wallpaper. The seams will show and eventually loosen.