Michele Kleckner
Michele Kleckner
  • Waverly, TN
Asked on Jan 7, 2019

How can I preserve paint on these faux stained glass wall hangings?

Robyn GarnerPamelaBetty Albright-Bistow
+3

I know someone who made beautiful faux stained glass wall hangings. The picture is made ( painted) with white glue mixed with paint, words cut from vinyl with a cricut machine. The “paint” chips off even though they were sprayed with a finish. What product is out there that I could preserve the paint?

q faux stained glass
q faux stained glass
  • Bijous

Hi. These are quite nice. How about adding a top piece of window glass? That will ensure the paint will not be disturbed. Good luck.

• SpudBread

Take them to an ART RESTORER -- let a professional take care of it -- you may end up totally ruining you pieces!!!! They know exactly HOW to deal with these odd situations.

Rustoluem clear spray paint or a spray glaze.

• Betty Albright-Bistow

Hi Michele. They are lovely. You did such a wonderful job! I was thinking you might want to go to a glass place or craft framing store and ask them what would be the best possible way to preserve your art. You did such a lovely job, I am sure they will be willing to help you with ideas.

• Pamela

Hi, I would think a coat of clear spray paint would preserve it ! Good luck !

• Robyn Garner

I agree that putting a thin piece of glass over the work should keep it all intact.

Next time, tell your friend to do their work BACKWARDS so the glass will then be inserted with the stained glass 'paint' on the inside. That way you merely clean the front as normal and everything is protected. 😎