DIY Lighted Decoupage Winter Scene

$7
1 Day

Here's a warm and cozy idea to chase away those winter blues and brighten up your home after the holidays! It's called reverse decoupage using a winter themed napkin and dimensional snowflakes. It's a great way of customizing a recycle glass bottle for almost any occasion. With this technique you just decoupage a paper napkin on the back of a bottle, giving off a see-through the glass picture which allows you to use the front, inside, and also the back of the bottle to add additional decorative themed items!

Let's get started by cleaning the surface of a clean glass bottle with alcohol to remove grease and any dirt that might have been missed and let dry. 

Lay the opened napkin print side up on your work surface and place the bottle on top of the design and centering. Next, dip the tip of a paint brush in water and dab around the edges of the bottle until you have completely wet the napkin around the bottle.

Using the tip of your finger, tear out the napkin following around the wet portion. Then separate the 2-3 ply white paper from the printed side of the napkin.

Next, coat the back of the bottle with Mod Podge using a paint brush.

Then lay the printed side of the napkin face down on the bottle, centering napkin. Brush out napkin with additional mod podge.

Smooth out wrinkles and air bubble on napkin using plastic wrap (I cut up an old ziplock bag for thicker plastic)  

Let dry completely and then use sandpaper to remove any rough edges.

To enhance the printed napkin and make it less transparent, paint over the napkin with white chalk paint and let dry.

Apply a second coat of paint and let dry. Use Snow-Tex to add dimension using snowflake stencils on the front and back.

Have fun adding snowflakes all over!

And finally, insert the cork twinkle lights for a lovely night-light for those cold wintry evenings!

Gail@Purple Hues and Me

• Little j

Where did u hide the battery pak on the lights ?

• Theresa

The battery pack is inside the “cork”. It uses those button batteries.

• Cindy

Hello darlin, you ALWAYS do such beautiful crafts and in general nothing too difficult for these arthritic hands !!!! As usual this one is just beautiful ! I have made something very similar for Christmas gifts with different types of containers. Well anyway, my question is, where did you find the adorable bottle that you used ? I did check out the suggestion listed on your materials list, but found nothing like yours. The attractiveness of your bottle is that it is rather flat, and what I have found were all round or square. Thank you in advance for your answer, and keep the pretties coming please. Again this is just adorable!

• Cindy

Well thank you dear ! I know what you mean about their sales, a few weeks ago I purchased an apothecary dish for 1/2 price that I had been eyeing for quite some time. Waaaay too expensive without that sale. I'll look for yours at the next sale ! Take care of yourself and I hope you don't need to get out over the weekend...it's rather yucky here !!

• Candice Gollam

So lovely. I think the snowflakes just put it over the top of other ones I have seen. Love love. Thank you for sharing

• Kathleen Anthony

Yes!! So excited to get one started ! I’ve bought the tiny lites but didn’t know about the cork to hide battery👍 Thank U ❤️