Asked on Jan 7, 2019

Where do I start with my kitchen remodel?

WilliamSimple Decorating TipsGk

We are going to be starting a small kitchen remodel and just wondering what order should we go in. We are installing new cabinets, new flooring, painting, new counters and new backsplash. We are removing a bar and installing an island but the island isnt going to have water or electric and we arent installing new appliances. So besides the obvious demo what order do we go in? Is there an order?

• Gk

I would do the flooring first if you plan on having flooring under your cabinets. I do. Then painting, cabinets, island, counters, backsplash.

Flooring always goes last. Why put expensive flooring under cabinets that will never be seen. Also don't want any damage to the floors during rehab. Even covering the floors one grain of dust can scratch them up.

• Simple Decorating Tips

Depending on your flooring style you're installing, you'd start either with the floor or the cabinets. If doing a floating floor, then it needs the cabinets installed first. I have several kitchen remodels featured on my site Simple Decorating Tips. You can check some out HERE.

Wall cabinets first. Base cabinets next. You don't want to be leaning over any obstructions hanging wall units. Countertop, plumbing, and backsplash. Painting next. Why paint behind cabinets or OOPS on flooring. In your situation flooring would be next then the island.

Basically flooring always goes last. Why put expensive flooring under cabinets that will never be seen. Also don't want any damage to the floors during rehab. Even covering the floors one grain of dust can scratch them up. That is the way my crew and I did it when I was homebuilder and remodeler.