Asked on Jan 7, 2019

How can I redo my basement ceiling?

Ken EricksonFrugalFamilyTimes.comKathy Gunter Law
+2

I am remodeling my basement and I need your good ideas!The walls will be paneled with wood in soft gray and tan tones,the floor will be laminate or carpet. I am stumped by the ceiling.. It's very low, not even 8'.If it's covered in wood, I am afraid it will look "cave" like, the onlything I can come up with is sheet rock and simple beams. too boring?The room has only one large window. Your comments will be appreciated.Thank you!

• Rymea

Sooner of later you are going to need access to wiring, plumbing etc up in that ceiling. That's why people use drop ceilings. They don't have to drop down very much and you can get some really nice looking ones.

• Redcatcec

Hi Allison,

Your ceiling could be finished off with the acoustic tiles and a grid to put them in. This would not take up much room and could be easily adjusted to your amount of height you'd be willing to give up. Could be a matter of a few inches.

Another thought would be to put in ceiling tiles that are peel and stick, Amazon has a good variey of them, they are made of Styrofoam, can be painted and cut to fit your decor.

• Kathy Gunter Law

The beams might close it in too much. You can paint the sheet rock a color other than white.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

We just did two fresh ideas in our basement! So affordable and gorgeous: https://www.frugalfamilytimes.com/search?q=Basement+ceiling

• Ken Erickson

A white ceiling will help it look bigger. I would go with sheetrock, no beams, and a light texture (or smooth) painted the desired color.