Asked on Jan 7, 2019

How do I move healthy shrubs I just planted?

BetsyNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CAKelly-n-Tony

in November, Zone 4..? I went for broke at an end of the 2018 season nursery sale, and bought a whole bunch of flowering Rose of Sharon and Butterfly Bushes..my holes were predug..popped them all in by the middle of November...the leaves and flowers soon died after the first frost...now I want to move them ... when and how do I do that....or should I wait and see if they even survived..like maybe move them in September...would that be safer??? thanks so much for a professional response...Roz

• Kelly-n-Tony

I'd wait and see if they've survived. Transplanting now would shock them.

• Not surprised. That was too late for zone 4 for the plants to become established before cold weather set in. Wait till spring and then move them to suitable locations for each plant. Each plant has different needs and if those needs are not met, the plants perish. You would have been better off buying the plants and nursed them through the winter inside or in a garage or barn, then set out in spring. Even though they may look dead, move them and then wait and see what happens. Time will tell and mother nature works in her own way. Don't give up hope just yet. 🌞

Hi Rozmund: I'd wait until spring and the dirt can be worked easily. Then I'd go to the nursery and ask what type of fertilizer you should use to give the plants a good start. They should survive in a new location, but they will need plenty of love and care, along with water, to do so. Hang in there, you might be happily surprised:) Good luck