Asked on Jan 7, 2019

How do I cover chalk paint with another color of chalk paint?

Emy Flint | Semigloss DesignAnnetteMogie
+2

I am changing the color of chalk paint(gray) to an area to white chalk paint, the area has not been waxed or any poly products used yet. I already applied 2 coats of white but it is not covering very well. Would you suggest a kilz primer first?

• Simple Decorating Tips

I'd recommend using a shellac based primer LIKE THIS ONE. It will seal off whatever is bleeding through and then you can paint over it with whatever you choose.

• Kelli L. Milligan

Yes Kilz is shellac based. But the chalk paint should be covering, was it home made or brand name?

• Mogie

One coat (or maybe two) of Shellac will seal in whatever is causing the bleed-through and allow you to paint your furniture.

• Annette

Its home depot chalk paint.

I will try the kilz shellac primer

• White is always a pain. It can take up to 6 or 7 coats over dark colors. I like 123 primer because it's fairly inexpensive and can get you to white much faster than expensive chalk paint.