Strainer Planter Wind Chimes

$10

I have always had a thing for wind chimes, and I also love hanging planters. So I thought why not combine the two?

I repurposed a plain metal strainer and measuring spoons that I found at the thrift store to make a planter that also plays beautiful music in the sweet summer breezes.

Here are my supplies: A large metal strainer, metal measuring spoons, key rings, dog leash chain, measuring tape, sharpie, drill with a metal drill bit, and spray paint. UPDATE: I used 1" single key rings, not double. Double key rings might not be flexible enough to get through the holes in the strainer.

I spray painted the bottom of the strainer with the Rustoleum Lagoon turquoise paint. I taped off the handles because I wanted them to stay the natural metal. The bottom and the inside were kept natural as well.

Then I drilled 3 sets of 2 holes into the rim of the strainer to feed the key rings through so I could hang the planter with the leash chain, which I took apart making 3 equal pieces for hanging. Before I drilled the holes I marked the spots with my Sharpie.

Then I made more hangers out of the leash chain, and attached the measuring spoons to the bottom of the strainer using key rings.

I put a small piece of plastic just on the bottom of the planter where my chimes are hanging. There's still plenty of drainage through the holes on the sides. Then I lined the planter with some spare cocoa fibre that I had, filled it with potting soil, and planted it with some plants that hadn't found a pot yet.

I added a sweet little stained glass angel at the top. Her dangling heart says Follow Your Dream.

Then I added a little bling in the centre of the measuring spoon chimes with a large chandelier crystal, just because I love a little bling... and it really does sparkle in the sunlight.

And here's the finished strainer planter wind chime.

Here it is in my garden. Now we're not only enjoying a hanging basket of flowers, but the lovely sound of the chimes as well. To see more garden art projects check out my blog at http://thriftyrebelvintage.com/

• Strainer  (thrift store)
  • Measuring spoons  (thrifty store)
  • Single layer key rings  (amazon)

Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
Color Me Thrifty

• Darla Jones Council
    Darla Jones Council

I can't wait to make one of these! How did you take apart the dog leash? Did you have to cut the chain? Thanks!

• Debbie Sullivan
    Debbie Sullivan

I sprayed my strainers & the paint is peeling off then. what should I do?

I was maiking them for Mother's Day gifts. Help please
    • TEE SMITH
      TEE SMITH

ive been doing this for planters for years i paint mine..i use outdoor gloss paint ...it works..

• Cheryl flower lady
    Cheryl flower lady

I LOVE wind chimes and would love to try making this one so, I have a LOT of old butter knives that are no longer needed, could you use just these to make the chimes or should they vary?
    • Tambree L. Cole
      Tambree L. Cole

I bent the cutting edges up n over. No more danger! They make great sounds with spoons n even shells n bamboo. I have bin making them for years. Not one being alike.

• Lynn
    Lynn

I'm game. Adore crafts and homemade items soooo much. Need to print the list of what to buy. Thanks for a great and fairly simple idea!!! A new fan named Lynn from Ohio.

• Country Gal
    Country Gal

Turned out beautiful. I'm a DIY person I'm going to make one up. Thanks for sharing this great DIY.