Strainer Planter Wind Chimes

$10

I have always had a thing for wind chimes, and I also love hanging planters. So I thought why not combine the two?

I repurposed a plain metal strainer and measuring spoons that I found at the thrift store to make a planter that also plays beautiful music in the sweet summer breezes.

Here are my supplies: A large metal strainer, metal measuring spoons, key rings, dog leash chain, measuring tape, sharpie, drill with a metal drill bit, and spray paint. UPDATE: I used 1" single key rings, not double. Double key rings might not be flexible enough to get through the holes in the strainer.

I spray painted the bottom of the strainer with the Rustoleum Lagoon turquoise paint. I taped off the handles because I wanted them to stay the natural metal. The bottom and the inside were kept natural as well.

Then I drilled 3 sets of 2 holes into the rim of the strainer to feed the key rings through so I could hang the planter with the leash chain, which I took apart making 3 equal pieces for hanging. Before I drilled the holes I marked the spots with my Sharpie.

Then I made more hangers out of the leash chain, and attached the measuring spoons to the bottom of the strainer using key rings.

I put a small piece of plastic just on the bottom of the planter where my chimes are hanging. There's still plenty of drainage through the holes on the sides. Then I lined the planter with some spare cocoa fibre that I had, filled it with potting soil, and planted it with some plants that hadn't found a pot yet.

I added a sweet little stained glass angel at the top. Her dangling heart says Follow Your Dream.

Then I added a little bling in the centre of the measuring spoon chimes with a large chandelier crystal, just because I love a little bling... and it really does sparkle in the sunlight.

And here's the finished strainer planter wind chime.

Here it is in my garden. Now we're not only enjoying a hanging basket of flowers, but the lovely sound of the chimes as well. To see more garden art projects check out my blog at http://thriftyrebelvintage.com/

• Strainer  (thrift store)
  • Measuring spoons  (thrifty store)
  • Single layer key rings  (amazon)

Color Me Thrifty

• Darla Jones Council

I can't wait to make one of these! How did you take apart the dog leash? Did you have to cut the chain? Thanks!

• Debbie Sullivan

I sprayed my strainers & the paint is peeling off then. what should I do?

I was maiking them for Mother's Day gifts. Help please
    • Annie Morgan Wisniewski

I would use Rustoleum and sand where I wanted to paint. I used to paint houses for a living. Often times paint won't stick until you rough up the surface.

• Cheryl flower lady

I LOVE wind chimes and would love to try making this one so, I have a LOT of old butter knives that are no longer needed, could you use just these to make the chimes or should they vary?
    • Tambree L. Cole

I bent the cutting edges up n over. No more danger! They make great sounds with spoons n even shells n bamboo. I have bin making them for years. Not one being alike.

• Allison

I want to make a set of them. Thanks for the inspiration

• Lynn
    18 minutes ago

I'm game. Adore crafts and homemade items soooo much. Need to print the list of what to buy. Thanks for a great and fairly simple idea!!! A new fan named Lynn from Ohio.