Asked on Jan 7, 2019

How do I get heavy dust off the top of this delicate wreath?

Jamie LickertVanessaBetty Cosper Parsons
+9

I made this eons ago. I'm afraid to use the hair dryer as it may dislodge some of the flowers. Worse dust is on top of the ribbon. Any thoughts?

q how do i get heavy dust off the top of this delicate wreath
  • Tinyshoes

Lucy's Mom....Try canned air. You can purchase at Walmart, Staples, etc. Works for me but you may have to still reglue in some areas. Good luck!

A slightly damp soft fiber duster or a Swiffer duster.

• Kathy Gunter Law

A blow dryer on the lowest setting or in front of a fan would be less pressure than canned air. I would try a microfiber duster first, the kind that grabs dust. Have you tried rotating the wreath or is it too delicate? No matter what, I would take very good close up photos and be ready to re attach if needed.

• Babs

You could take it apart and swish the silk flowers in warm soapy water and let air dry and reassemble it, with new ribbon. However, if you made it eons ago, it's probably time to dispose of it and make a new one.

• Debra hock

If it doesn't have a lot of sentimental value, remove anything that would get ruined by water,put the wreath in the shower and hot spray, then hang dry. Clean water sensitive decorations with an old toothbrush. If wreath is ruined, cull the good pieces, toss the rest and begin again, they don't cost enough to spend a lot of time on. Good luck.

• Mel Pettie

A light coating of Lysol spray, it will dissolve some of the dust. Do this two of three times. It has worked well for me on several wreaths.

• Judi

Lightly spray with cold water (so the colors don't run) with your hand held shower sprayer on low & keep the water pressure a good distance away from the arrangement. For a wreath, I'd lay it in the tub & then let it drip dry onto a towel.

Or a suggestion from Google: add 1/4 cup of salt to a brown paper bag. Carefully add wreath. Gently shake...it will dislodge dust. Not sure if most wreaths will fit in brown paper bag though.

I hope you find something that helps you.

• Betty Cosper Parsons

To dust the ribbon and other larger areas I use Cotton balls and silk flower spray cleaner fine spray on all

• Vanessa

I use a small lint roller. I also use the lint roller on my lamp shades. Works great. Just pull off when the sticky tape gets full and you have a fresh one to keep working.

• Jamie Lickert

Lint roller is a great idea! If you're worried that will take material with it, start with a swiffer cloth on the super delicate parts. OXO has a tool specially designed for delicate items: https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Microfiber-Delicate-Duster-Orange/dp/B00HWNVEXK