Vanessa Lewis
Vanessa Lewis
  • Sioux Falls, SD

Over Wintered Geraniums

Let me tell you the story about these baskets. I work for Parks and Rec in Sioux Falls, SD as a Master Gardener.
Falls Park Visitor's Center in Sioux Falls SD
Had these hanging at the Visitors Center at Falls Park last year. Took them down in the fall and put them in storage because I wanted to save the pots. Forgot about them for months and thought they were dead.
Geraniums
Geraniums
My partner Bill took them home in December and gave them a drink and they broke dormancy. Brought them back to the park in May and they were a tangled, spindly mess. I cut them back, gave them fertilizer and this is the results!
geraniums wintered hanging plants restore, container gardening, flowers, gardening
Hung them up for the Forth of July celebration where I hope to leave until Fall. Might even try it again for next year.

• Kathy

Beautiful! What kind of fertilizer do you use for geraniums?

• Miriam I

Wow! They're so vibrant! So glad you didn't give up on them!

• Marcia Hron

Truly inspiring!!!! Just discovered that I can overwinter geraniums and other annuals in our minimally heated, attached garage. It remains at 40 degrees throughout the winter.!