Asked on Jan 7, 2019

How is it really spelled?

Jerry V. SchumanKelli L. MilliganEm


Hi, I may be way off base, and if so, I apologize in advance, but I have heard many references to "Fir", the type of wood, with regards to kitchen walls and soffits, but never "Fur". 1 X 2 (usually) strips of wood attached on walls, and used to attach cabinets and soffits, are called firring strips, even if they are made of aspen or pine. Not sure if i'm totally correct, or completely off base, so please do your own research! Also, I think that a soffit is usually a box-like structure that upper cabinets are attached to, and hang from the ceiling.

4 answers
  • Kelli L. Milligan
    on Jan 7, 2019

    The correct spelling is - Fir wood, furring strips, soffit. Also overhangs of roofs are also called soffits. I found different parts of the country call the same things different names and in different countries. It took me a while to figure out a lounge was a living room in Europe not a bath room.

  • Em
    on Jan 7, 2019

    Fir is a type of tree. Furring strips are building material. Fur down is a bizarre term and strangely incorrect for the space above a kitchen cabinet and the ceiling.

  • Kelli L. Milligan
    on Jan 7, 2019

    I think I now see what project you were talking about. I too have never heard of "fur down", never, doesn't even make sence. The bloggers were from Texas, but I think thier contactor friend was pulling their leg.

  • Jerry V. Schuman
    on Jul 6, 2019

    In the South USA, an interior ceiling soffit is commonly called a fur-down.

Your comment...