Shabby Paints
Shabby Paints
  • Springfield, TN

Farmhouse Backsplash Makeover on a Budget

$0

Backsplash Makeover on a Budget

Looking for a creative, inexpensive way to update your kitchen backsplash? Got leftover vinyl plank flooring?

Free backsplash using leftover vinyl flooring

If you have ever laid a vinyl plank floor and saved the left-over pieces this might be for you. I have 4 boxes of left-over flooring taking up space and every time I have to move them to get to something else, I swear I’m going to throw them away but never do. Glad I didn’t!

This vinyl flooring is the type with a faux wood grain texture, so it is perfect to give the look of wood. It is thin, flexible and easily cuts by scoring it with a utility knife.

Boring Before
Boring Before

What you will need:

• Leftover flooring, or get a box of laminate flooring at your local hardware store. I used Allure ironwood vinyl flooring.
  • Nail gun, I’m in love with my cordless Ryobi.
  • Nails
  • Utility knife
  • Straight edge ruler
  • White Ice Shabby Paints
  • Sand paper
  • Spray bottle of water
farmhouse backsplash makeover on a budget

Install

Remove all plug/switch covers and prep the area. Measure your first piece and mark any outlets that need to be cut out.

Use a utility knife to cut for outlets.
Use a utility knife to cut for outlets.

Use a utility knife to score and cut your vinyl pieces.

Cut around plugs and nail.
Cut around plugs and nail.

Apply using your nail gun. Continue until your entire backsplash is done.

We're making progress :)

Ready for paint!

Paint

Paint with one coat of White Ice, let dry.

Wet sanding to reveal the wood grain

Wet Sand

Spray sections with water and sand while wet to show the grain texture. (don’t spray water near outlets). You can wet your sanding sponge first and tape over the outlets.

Wet sanding is a great way to distress a strong paint. Some paints come off easier than others and spraying with water helps to weaken the paints adhesion long enough to help remove enough to show the faux grain. It also helps cut down on dust.

Only took 12 years to get my backsplash ;)

Finish

Safely extend your outlets to fit flush with your new backsplash.. If you aren’t comfortable with this ask for help.

Set back and enjoy your inexpensive backsplash!

faux wood look
faux wood look

Enjoy!

Another angle of the after
Another angle of the after

Farmhouse backsplash complete!

To see more: https://www.shabbypaints.com/backsplash-makeover-on-a-budget/

• Billi Young

I absolutely LOVE your peacock bowl shown in one of your pics. Can you plz tell me more about it? Did u make it? How? It looks hand painted but yet EXTREMELY vibrant. Lol just curious!. Thanx

• Angela Williams Lewis

dont you need to put a finish on it? i would think if you dont the chalk paint would come off.

• Shabby Paints

I can't speak for other chalk type paints but once dry, it's good to go. My shop exterior is painted with it and not sealed. Painted it over 4 years ago.

• Jennifer Brandhorst

What did you do between the window trim and the cupboards?

• Vicki

Great idea. Looks quaint and sweet.. has a feeling of, let's sit for a spell and just chat...

• Rosemarie Abrahamson

i have fake brick up now but its been up for years. this would be a nice change