Prem Aggarwal
Prem Aggarwal
  • Dearborn, MI
Asked on Jan 8, 2019

How can you climatize certain semi-hardy plants?

Alexis @ Chemistry CachetRedcatcecJanice S

I have certain plants which I bring inside in winter. But people told me that I may leave certain plants out side.Theywill become hardy and come ot in spring. Like Banana, flower, Curry plant

• Janice S

You could try covering for the winter. If in pots, add some foam packing to the bottom. This helps making lighter and the roots don't sit in cold or freezing water.

• Redcatcec

Hi Prem,

This would also depend on what zone you live in. If you live way up north they may not survive the sub zero temps, but if you live in a more temperate zone, they have a better chance. There are certain species of the same plants you can do this to that are grown to be cold tolerant, for a reference you could look in the seed catalogues that many companies send out and see if you have the plant that will survive the environment over winter.

• Alexis @ Chemistry Cachet

Bringing the inside is best if you live in the north. You can cover them with burlap if your temperatures aren’t extreme cold.