Outdoor Harvest Table

It all started with a dream! A dream of having all of my family and guests sit around one table when dining outdoors, instead of scattered around on lawn chairs throughout the yard! I knew I wanted something rustic, sturdy and large. All the outdoor furniture that fit my needs were way out of our price range. I was about to give up when on a fluke I came across the plans for this table from Ana White.
outdoor harvest table, diy, outdoor furniture, woodworking projects
Off to the lumbar yard, were we purchased all spruce lumber at a total cost of under $100.00! The plans we followed were quite detailed, with a list of cuts required and step by step instructions. My husband actually modified the cuts slightly in order to make better use of the lumber we purchased, with less waste.
The detail on the legs give the table such a timeless look. It has an overhang at each end long enough to prevent hitting your knees when you pull up a chair. The top is made of four 2 x10 spruce boards giving it a nice wide surface. Perfect for seating a crowd.
I think one of my favorite features is that it seats 3 comfortably down each side with no brackets or posts to interfere with chair placement. We have even managed to sit four down each side with a little less elbow room!
I really didn't want to stain the wood, but rather wanted to have a nice weathered patina, like it had been a fixture in the yard for many years. A mixture of vinegar and steel wool brushed on in one coat instantly achieved that effect, and it has weathered up just a bit more. Just as I had envisioned it!
We ended up gifting this one to my Mom for Mother's Day and she was beyond thrilled! I don't think she has ever been prouder of her son-in-law!
A couple of weeks later, mine was built! I recycled my old patio chairs with a quick coat of spray paint and I think they really showcase the table. We also have two wicker chairs we pull up to each end to sit a total of 8. It really makes entertaining outdoors a much more intimate affair! With summer in full swing, we have already enjoyed many dinners our on the deck and look forward to do so for years to come!

Red Cottage Chronicles

• Meliss Etner

Btw...just checked out your site. Love the recipes! Love your kitch counter tops to. I say leave the olive oil ring...adds age and character. Maybe when sanding in the future add a few more oops to increase this factor. Just a thought.

• Stephen Scott Johnson

Beautiful table! Great job!