Mosaic Garden Table

$90

I had the most beautiful mosaic garden table but at the time didn't understand the importance of covering garden furniture in the winter to protect it.

Years of neglect lend the beautiful table top to crumble before my eyes when I moved home last year.

Sad, distressed table.

As you see the table rusted under the original tiles. Rather than throw it out and buy a new one (which would have cost hundreds to replace) I decided to try my luck renewing the top myself.

Sadly the tiles which had previously lived on top were unable to be salvaged.

Firstly, I needed to remove the rust by using a hard wire brush. Once satisfied that all the rust had been removed I used sugar soap to clean away any dirt and grease. Allowing this to dry I then need to seal the table from future elements. Preventing a repeat this.

I used an outdoor paint in black - sutible for metal.

I also wire brushed the chairs and repainted them. (They needed to look their best next to the shiney new table)

While the table dried I smashed my chosen tile into a heavy duty bag using a hammer. (You don't need the bag but it just keeps all the splinters in one place and made it easier to clean up)

For the grouting I used a grout float, but you can use any grouting tool you feel would work better for you.

Smooth the grout onto the desired area and place the tiles into the grout. try not to leave too big a gap between the tiles as will make the end task harder.

Once you are happy with the layout grout over the top by smoothing it onto and in between the tiles. Use the side of the float to take off the excess grout from the top of the tiles.

Tiles layed out ready for grouting.

Don't leave the grout to dry just yet.

Grab a damp spounge and wipe the excess grout the float didn't manage to remove itself. You may also need to buff the tiles to remove grout from them. once the grout has dried you won't be able to remove any excess - so make sure it is done at this stage.

Depending on the distance between the tiles you may need to repeat this process a few times. (I did mine 3 times)

Grout float

Grout

Pre tile buffing

You may want to consider using a sealant to protect the grouting from stains (such as red wine, or mustard and ketchup 😉)

Finished result

Metal paint

• Lisa Marie Caillet

Could I do this on cement ? Thinking of doing front entrance and steps

• Susan McMillen

What is sugar soap? Where do you get it?

• Cardinal

I have a 48" garden table which had a glass top that broke & now removed. I've saved the table to do a mosaic top like this using broken china, lamps and other precious things I've saved through the years. My question is: What do I use now for a base to lay the pieces on, since the glass is no longer there? I only have a shallow metal rim on the table. My contractor said it needed something strong to hold the tile & grout. Heavy plywood would be taller than the rim plus be heavy. What can I use?

• Cardinal

Thanks Natasha!! I had no idea I could buy that on Amazon. I would have never looked there for that. Yes, any lightweight metal would be perfect. I just didn't know if there was something special about the copper. Copper is so pretty that I have to cover it up. I appreciate you answering.