Light Fixture Update

$4

I needed to replace an ugly light fixture but that wasn't in the budget...what's a girl to do??

Builder grade light
Builder grade light

So..after I finished painting the bed in one of my guest rooms and building an amazing window seat (that I didnt take enough pictures of to post) I needed to do SOMETHING with that light. Being the mama I am, I decided to try my hand at making one. I hit the dollar tree and came up with one wastebasket and three bags of glass gems. And a really good idea!

Dollar tree wastebasket
Dollar tree wastebasket
Clear glass "gems"
Clear glass "gems"

To begin my project I kind of eyeballed the light itself after I removed the globe to figure out how much of the basket I needed to remove for the best fit.

light fixture update

I decided to remove the bottom two inches from the wastebasket with wire cutters.

Wastebasket with bottom cut
Wastebasket with bottom cut

Then I spray painted it silver with leftover paint from my Christmas crafts.

light fixture update

Then the fun began... using a multipurpose glue (locktite) I had on hand and my trusty hot glue gun I began to glue the gems around and up the wastebasket. Ok...now I dont know how this method will hold up yet, as i have just finished the project, but I used the glue on the basket then hot glued the gem directly on. My thinking was that the glue takes hours to dry completely so I needed the hot glue to hold them in place while it dries...and if I only used hot glue I was afraid the gems would fall off when the glue was heated by the light. *Edit*** In comments on this project I learned some valuable information that I thought I should share here...if you replace the old light bulb with an LED bulb it shouldn't warm up enough to melt the hot glue. (Thanks Bush Linda) :)

Start at the bottom and work your way up

Also..i almost forgot...make sure you leave some space at the top to hook the shade onto the screws. Once I had all the gems glued in place I let it set while I inspected my screws in the light fixture itself. Missing one. Dang. Scoured all the junk drawers and came up with one to replace it. I went ahead and screwed them all in as far as they will go. Then brought the new shade upstairs and just hooked the screws through the wire at the top of the basket. It is hanging securely but I might go back and add some wire around the screws just to be sure. And now I have a light fit for a princess for 4 dollars.

Tada!
Tada!
light fixture update
See my new window seat too? I'm so proud of i

....just had a thought... they also sell smaller versions of these ..more like little wire baskets..at Dollar Tree. The same basic idea could be used to make new covers for wall sconces! How pretty would those be?!? If anybody tries that please share the link with me as I dont have wall sconces to redo!

• Belinda

Awesome. Can make lamp shades if you leave the bottom in

• Tracie
      31 minutes ago

I was wondering the same thing..unless it's a lamp with a fineal on top, then I suppose you would just replace the shade with the new one and screw the fineal on to hold it. Might have to glam up a washer to put in there to hold it secure, I'm not sure if the holes in the basket are too large or not. That is my best guess.

• Joy

wow so pretty.....but does the heat from the light bulb melt the glue?

• Tracie

I learned if you use an LED bulb it wont. I actually revised this post to include that because I wasn't aware of that either. Thank you for your kind comment :)

• Linda

Yes, I want to try it & actually need a new fixture over my dining room table!!! It's a small area. I also was wondering if the heat of the light mighy melt the glue???

• SarahAkers
    Yesterday

Wow, this came out nice!! Kudos to you!!! You explained it well and dead on!! Great imagination keep us informed of future projects!!!

• Amanda
    11 hours ago

This is an awesome & creative project!! Thank you for sharing this and going into every detail!! As I seen the 1st picture, I was wondering about the glue myself. But, you made clear about what bulb to use! I'm excited to do this!! Thank you!!

• Tracie
      9 hours ago

Thank you so very much! I hope you enjoy doing this project as much as I did. :)