Asked on Jan 9, 2019

How do I make a porch that goes around my house attractive?

CJBetsyKelli L. Milligan

I have a porch that goes around my house. How do I make it attractive and warming for my house guest

• Kelli L. Milligan

Lots of nice chairs and tables with fun fabrics. Add outdoor area rugs. Use planters and hanging ferns. Maybe add outdoor draperies pulled back between columns

Hi Diana: You can put hanging plants between the upright posts, the ones that have flowers that dangle down, and paint the porch rails white. If you can, get some rocking chairs or a porch swing, not the kind that hangs from the rafters, but like a glider. Or, some comfy chairs with side tables between the chairs and decorate the tables with vases of flowers or nick-knacks. Also, if you have steps, put pots of flowers on the edges of the steps. I'd love a picture so that I can give better suggestions. Good luck

• CJ

Diana,

I agree with the previous suggestions.

I love the look of wrap around porches!

I'll add that it's important to keep it clean to be more inviting, dust settles on everything outdoors even more than indoors so frequently sweep the floor, walls, ceiling and wipe furniture. I don't want to sit on my porch with cobwebs and I don't want find dust all over my backside from sitting on my bench. Consider when and where the sun shoves on your porch and arrange seating so the sun can be either avoided or sought out as desired.

Porch envy here! I only have a small covered patio on the front of my house.