Asked on Jan 9, 2019

How can I enclose this shower?

FlipturnTerriOliva
+7

We bought our house about 16 months ago. This is my master bath shower. There used to be a shower door because I can see where the mounting holes have been filled with silicone. I currently use a shower curtain but it billows in when I take a shower which is super annoying! I’m not sure what to do to make it better. I’ve thought about installing a new glass enclosure but I know it’s expensive. Does anyone have any creative ideas that might work?

q shower curtain or shower door

Master bath shower

• Add magnetic weights to the bottom of your shower curtain. Sandwich the curtain between the two. You probably could make do with 10 magnets. I have dual curtains, a hotel style fabric liner and the decorative one to make the room pretty.

Hello Dollie (I just couldn't resist!) One thing you might do is to put magnets in the bottom of your shower curtain, if your tub is metal, or if it's plastic, you can add some weights to the bottom of your shower curtain. To do this, get one of those mesh bags from the dollar store that you put your dainties in to wash, cut it open so that you have a strip about 5 inches wide. Then, sew it to the bottom of your shower curtain. Make it about 2 or 3 inches high, without the hems. Sew it all along the bottom, on the inside of your curtain, and on the top of the mesh, sew about 1/2 inch from the vertical edges and along the top of the mesh every 6 inches, leaving a 3 inch gap between each 6 inch interval, sewing up from the bottom and over 6 inches at the top and down to the next bottom, sew 3 inches and up again, making UUUU shapes along the mesh. This way you can put your weights in and take them out to wash the shower curtain. The mesh will allow the water to run out of the little pockets. Boy, I hope this makes sense to you:) For weights, you can use those decorative stones. Good luck

• Paperdoll

You can buy shower curtains with the magnets already put in.

• Smittie22

I hate to tell u this, but you would/might get lots of water leaking on to the floor. I have one made of individually placed marble like tile. I took the easy way out🤣👏👏 I put up a shower curtain and it hangs inward. It works great. Just remember to make sure your curtain has room to hang inward. That will stop water from leaking inwardly. Much cheaper than a door too. Plus most shower doors open outward. Can cause a wet floor every time u shower.

I put up a shower curtain. I let the curtain hang inside of the door. I have a shower step that goes inward. Stops water from getting on the floor. Also allows u to just turn the shower head towards the curtain and rinse it towards the curtains and quickly rinse it down to dry during the day. That is the cheap way to cut corners. Magnets basically r not going to work in as much as water will find a way to splash. It will not work on that shower material. You can go to the expense of having Home Depot or Lowes put in a track and a door. That will work and prevent water. Do check to see if a sliding or outward door can be installed. If u have an outward facing door, check. Many times the kind of shower u have pictured needs an outward facing door to open. Make sure that the track is secure or it will leak.

• Jerry

"shower rite" glass doors

• Oliva

If you sew a length of interconnected bead type weights into the hem of your shower curtain liner, it will not billow out. I strongly recommend the fabric type shower curtain liners, for ease of maintenance, vs. the vinyl type. You can simply open one seam end to remove the beaded weights, if laundering becomes necessary.

• Terri

That unit is fiberglass and magnets won't work. It's either a glass door or weights or suction cups. Custom glass doors can be expensive but probably the best solution as they have a gasket that is sealed along the bottom. You can have them make the door open into the shower or bypass would work also.

• Flipturn

Agree with Terri that messing around with magnets is not going to solve the frustration with drippy, hard-to-launder shower curtains.

• Flipturn

Having only one panel that moves to open and close like a door will be much less expensive than a full enclosure with a separate framed inside door. The trend now is to have only one wide panel covering part of the shower opening and no door, but as your shower is very narrow, this may not provide enough of a 'wall' from the spraying water.

The picture on the left below shows two narrow panels attached together; the one on the right functioning as a door. The picture on the right shows one style of 'hinges' that attach to both panels.

https://www.build.com/dreamline-shdr-3630720/s1283703?uid=3051545&source=gg-gba-pla_3051545!c1655532377!a64347491435!dc!ns&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI29Sk9Pji3wIVlsVkCh37-AkqEAQYASABEgKTwPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Flipturn

Here are some more examples of trackless shower panels.