Make A Valentine's Day Heart Shaped Wicker Basket Succulent Planter

$25

What if I told you that this adorable pompom endowed heart shaped Valentine’s Day succulent planter started out as a hideous country craft wicker basket at the thrift store? Would you believe me? Well, it definitely did. Take a look at the before and let me show you how I updated it into the cutest Valentine you will receive this year!

make a valentine s day heart shaped wicker basket succulent planter

YOU CAN DYE WICKER BASKETS! Not all of them, but some of them. Look for the ones that are not shiny. Sure you can always paint them, but dying the wood has a different look that I really like. Plaid Crafts sent me several bottles of their Ultra Dye and finally it came to me what I could use it for.  

So with Ultra Dye you brush it on just like paint, however it stains the wood as opposed to coating it like paint would. I used three different shades for the basket to create an ombre effect: Hot Flash, Raspberry Beret and Hot Pink.  

After the dye has dried you can cover with a top coat. I didn’t, but you can. Next I used a thick yarn to do a little weaving on the sides of my basket. I like lot’s of texture and more is more is always the way to go. Nothing fancy here, just in and out following the pattern of the basket. Not all baskets are created equal so your basket might have a weave that is too tight for yarn embellishment.

Pompoms make everything better. you can make your own pompoms or you can do what I did and raid the kids craft department at Michaels and use some ready made ones. I attached with hot glue. Finally you add your plants. These mini succulents are all still sitting in the small plastic cups they came home from the store in. Sure I’m not going to water them over my nice rug or anything, but it works.

For more repurposed and upcycled craft ideas and kitschy fun, visit my blog https://jenniferperkins.com/

Jennifer Perkins