Hughes Dylan
Hughes Dylan
  • Los Angeles, CA
Asked on Jan 9, 2019

What's good vacuum cleaner for both hardwood and carpet?

Lynn SorrellStephan MaritzTamara Acosta
+5

My very old and faithful Hoover vacuum sadly gave in and stopped working after about 25 years. It's time to move on and find a replacement.

I'm not very informed about new vacuum cleaners. What are the best vacuum cleaner brands and options these days? Do you recommend upright or canister ones? What about bagless vs bagged? I do have quite a lot of hardwood floors and carpet, so we'd need something good for that.

I've googled around a bit and http://www.consumerreports.org recommends Miele Dynamic U1 Twist, while https://getcleaningdone.com/best-vacuum-hardwood-floors-carpet/ recommends a vacuum that's supposed to be specifically good for hardwood floors and carpet, SharkNinja Canister Upright Vacuum. What do you think about these two options?

• Joan Stanley

Hoover or Bissel bagless would be my choise. I have used both recently and they really work well on both. I personally don't see the need for expensive vacuums when $150 ones work very well.

• One of my girlfriends swears by canister vacuum cleaners, but I have never used one with any regularity. I can, however, vouch for the Shark products as I have one myself. The model I have is around 5 years old and is a lift away model and at the time, was highly rated for pet fur, which is what I have, lots of pets and it works very well. It is heavy though, and when I first purchased it I couldn't use it myself as I was recovering from a back surgery. Love the canister, it is easy to empty and clean. If you have a place where you can see them in person and try them out before purchasing, do that.

• Tamara Acosta

I agree a place to see a vacuum is a good idea unless you are sure about an online purchase and find out return policy...

• I have a shark canister vacuum and I love it. We have a labrador that sheds a lot and that vacuum handles the pet hair like nothing. It's so nice being able to dump the canister instead of using new bags (I fill it 2-3 times when I vacuum...) It works equally great on hardwood, tile, carpet and rugs. There's a button for rugs and carpet to make it work better. It comes apart to make it smaller for stairs and it has a hose, which I use constantly for baseboards and such. I love that thing.

• Gk

Shark uprights work well for both carpet and hard flooring. I feel that you don't have to spend a large amont of money on a vacuum cleaner. My Shark--on sale for about 130.00 has served me well in a home with pet hair and children. My 90 year old MIL had always purchased expensive vacuums-in the 1000.00 range--but I gave her one of my Sharks to use and she loves it. Plus--after a few years if you need to replace they come on sale quite frequently and it's not a big expense to replace it. No bags in the canister is the best! You can wash the filters as well.

• Tamara Acosta

We got the shark duo last year, canister. Love it overall. Note we only have area carpet. It works for both carpet and wood etc floors, has settings. We Have 1200 sq ft to maintain. Has great power, gets the dirt up good! Great power. We got 2 rechargeable lithium batteries. Nice accessories. It's compact, easy to use! Removable handheld vacuum option.

The 2 things I wish were designed better is when upright, its top heavy and will not stand on its own. 2nd is hair gets wrapped around the roller that isn't removable; you have to remove cover & cut the wrapped hair then pull out/off that roller. It's not our cats hair. My husband & I both have long hair. I maybe should swifer floors quickly 1st. Although I can't swifer the 5 x 7 area rug in our den... I still am pleased with it!!! Worth the purchase.

• Stephan Maritz

Take a look at SEBO. Ours are 28 years old and spares are still readily available.

• Lynn Sorrell

Shark is what I have with 8 pets that shed & 1 teen cannot beat this vacuum take it in Rv too.