Hutoca
Hutoca
  • Indiana, PA
Asked on Jan 9, 2019

How do I paint my stove hood?

TereJaniceLifestyles Homes
+3

How do I paint my stove hood without removing it? What type of paint should I use?

• Lifestyles Homes

Engine paint or BBQ paint.

Cleaning it is going to be work, as kitchen vapors are greasy.

Masking it is going to be a bigger chore, as these are aerosols and I would wait until late Spring, due to the fumes.

If you insist on doing it now, buy a P95 mask & goggles, buy 5-6 plastic drop cloths & build a paint booth enclosure, as the aerosol overspray will fly everywhere.

This is a two day project.

• Janice

Hi Hutoca, you will need to clean the hood thoroughly and use painter's tape to mask off the adjacent cabinets, etc. Find a good paint for painting on metal and a foam paint sponge which will help alleviate brush marks. The sales associate in the paint department can advise you about paint selection and tool. Good luck! I've repainted a stove hood but I removed it and spray painted it shiny black and have received many compliments on it.

• Tere

• Tere

Oops, that image is too small, sorry. It's on Amazon. It's called Krylon HIGH HEAT Spray Paint. Ideally you should remove the range hood entirely and spray it outside then just reinstall it when it drys.

Here's a "hand paint on" option so you don't have to remove the range hood.

https://www.amazon.com/POR-15-High-Temperature-Resistant-Paint/dp/B00J6B1JZY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1547234820&sr=8-5&keywords=range+hood+paint Good Luck!