Asked on Jan 9, 2019

How do I paint or remove wood paneling?

Lynn SorrellJennifer Weber FergusonAdrienne Carrie Hubbard | Crafty Little Gnome
+1

I have a lot of 1980's wood paneling. Should I paint it, if yes how or is removing it best

• Tinyshoes

Theresa...It was easier for us to paint ours. We cleaned, sanded where it was needed and filled if needed then primed and painted. You can get primer in paint now that will remove that step. I believe you will be happy with the painting. Of course, it depends on what is behind the paneling to me about removing, as well as recovering if you are not happy with what you find. Good luck...hope you like whatever you decide to do.

• If you paint it, it will give you the look of shiplap or planked walls which are very trendy. If you decide to do this you should clean the walls really well first with a product like Krud Kutter, then prime with Killz and then paint it the color of your choice.

• Jennifer Weber Ferguson

Paint would be easier, just make sure to prime the surface with a good primer - I love XIM brand. Apply two coats and then paint whatever color you would like. Paneling looks great in White.

• Lynn Sorrell

Follow Adrienne's advice