Renter Friendly Washi Tape Backsplash

$24
1 Day

I love our little apartment, but the kitchen was missing something.. I didn't want to damage the wall or lose my security deposit - so I came up with this easy, (temporary) renter approved solution! Check out the video for more how-to's!

renter friendly washi tape backsplash
renter friendly washi tape backsplash

I began searching for inspiration at Home Depot in the backsplash section - I fell in love with this staggered tile backsplash, but I also loved the graphic elements in some of the other backsplashes. I decided I wanted a pattern to add texture and I wanted pops of silver to brighten up the space. I looked into peel & stick tile - but I knew I wanted a cheap, temporary solution --

renter friendly washi tape backsplash

Step 1: Empty Counter

Back at home, I started by emptying everything off the counter.

renter friendly washi tape backsplash

Next stop - Michael's.

To achieve the look I wanted, I purchased a few rolls of washi tape. I wanted my backsplash to be a staggered line pattern with pops of silver.

As you can see there are so many colors & styles to choose from!

renter friendly washi tape backsplash

Step 2: Measure

Next, I measured my space.. Then, estimate - depending on how much wall you want to cover depends on how much tape you'll need.

renter friendly washi tape backsplash

I purchased a few rolls of navy blue, a few patterned rolls, and a few rolls of silver. I ended up using a total of 4 & 1/2 rolls.

renter friendly washi tape backsplash

Step 3: Clean

Back at home- using disinfectant wipes - I wiped down the entire surface so it was free of any grease or cooking splashes that may be on the wall.

renter friendly washi tape backsplash

Step 4: Apply

Next, I began applying the tape. The great thing about washi tape is if you don't like where you placed a piece - you're free to move it around!

Since my wall was already a light gray I decided to incorporate my wall in the backsplash - so I layered pieces around it.

renter friendly washi tape backsplash

Step 5: Cut around details

Using an exact-o knife I cut around the spice rack, metal strip and the plug that were already in place.

renter friendly washi tape backsplash

I love my new backsplash -- it really ties the space together and gives it a finished look! It also added the modern touch I was looking for! It was so easy and completely one of a kind ;)

I didn't seal it to keep it renter approved - but i've been amazed as how well it's held up through cooking and washing dishes! It still looks good as new!

renter friendly washi tape backsplash

Have a blank wall in another room? Try this!

Using the same washi tape I added an accent wall to my room! :)

I hope this inspires you to find renter solutions (all over your apartment)!