Aged Terracotta Clay Pots

$20
1 Day

Inspired by Magnolia, you can create your own aged looking terra cotta clay pots using inexpensive items that you can find at your local stores, you that you may already have in your home.

You can use clay pots, found at dollar stores, hardware stores, or the garden centers at big box stores.

Begin by mixing plaster of paris according to the box instructions in disposable container.

Next, cover the pots in the plaster mixture. This part can be fun!

I just used my hands to spread the plaster mixture all over the pots, as well as a combo of dipping and rolling the pots into the container, and then just smearing it all around the pots. 

Don't feel like you have to cover the entire clay pot though.

Let the plaster and pots dry overnight, and then sand them down a bit the next day to make the texture more uniform.

Next, use layer color by watering down craft paint, and wiping off, until you achieve the look you want.

Using a damp paintbrush dipped into white paint, begin with a quick whitewash. If the paint is too thick, add a little more water to your brush, and use a dry cloth to wipe any excess back off.

Don’t get your plaster too wet, or it may become sticky. You’ll have to work a little bit quickly to avoid this. If it does seem to be softening, just take a break for a bit and let it dry.

You could also quick dry it with some heat from a hot blow dryer or a heat gun.

Keep layering your green and brown colors and white, until your clay pots look just right.

Keep repeating this process until those beautiful green hues are perfect.

You’re finished when you’re happy with the outcome.

Add a succulent or other live plant, and enjoy.

Molly - Just a Little Creativity

• Charlotte

Would this work with plastic pots?

• RC Leach

Well, they wouldn't absorb any water. But if you roughen them a bit with a medium coarse sandpaper, the plaster might stick, but I wouldn't bother to try it. I think you could do it if you found just the right masonry cement, and mix it with the plaster? (I don't know about this, but there may be a cement of some kind that works.) But I think it would be easier to just buy terracotta pots.

• Judy

Beautiful! Would this work on plastic pots ?

• SueBee

I love how this mimics the look of real age on clay pots. Have you planted anything requiring more water than succulents in them? I wonder if the higher moisture requirements of say ferns would affect the plaster from the inside since clay pots soak up so much.

• Susie

I agree with Molly about putting real plants in a plastic pot liner inside the clay pots, because of watering, so the outside of the clay pots stay nice.