Asked on Jan 10, 2019

How do I clean a dirty carpet?

Terrie deutchRobyn GarnerJanice Tyree
+13

How do I clean my dirty carpet and not get it too wet

q what is the best way to clean a dirty carpet
  1. Dirty and the nap won’t stand up
  • Kelli L. Milligan

Rent a carpet shampooer and take it easy.

• Call in the pros. Carpeting should be cleaned professionally once a year for optimum wear and tear.

• Drd

call in the professionals, getit cleaned and begin the journey of busgeting for new carpeting or different floor finish with an area rug.

• Candi

I think this carpet is too dirty to get to look clean..........I would replace it.

• Annie

I would use a pro who steam cleans, not shampoos. I struggled with this, too and found that the shampooing left too much soap residue and the carpet would look dirty again in no time. Moving forward I agree with others...get rid of it! Hard surfaces and area rugs are far easier to keep clean.

• Susan

I wholeheartedly agree with having carpeting cleaned by a pro who does STEAM cleaning. The carpet cleans very well and dries so much more quickly than the traditional shampooing method. Depending on the level of humidity in my home, when I have my carpeting steam cleaned, it can dry within a few hours. However, the best advantage for using this high temperature method to me is that since it kills bacteria, fungus and dust mites in the carpet leaving the carpet anti-allergic after it is steam cleaned. Not sure if rental steam cleaners are available for "do it yourselfers."

• V Smith

If you want to do it yourself I would suggest that you first vacuum it slowly. Give the vacuum time to suck up the particles the beater bar is bringing up. Once you are sure it is as clean as the vacuum can get it, pre treat any animal stains. Then use an extracting carpet cleaning machine. It is a hot water system that sprays hot water onto the carpet and then sucks the dirty water up. I only use water, unless you know that your "dirt" is oily. Too many soaps and detergents can actually attract dirt later on. If you find that the dirty water is sudsing up it could be because someone once used soap to clean it. To stop the sudsing add a little fabric softener to the dirty water tank only, never the clean water reservoir.

• Lisa

I would start with a good vacuum. Do you know if it's just dirt or pet stains, etc.? Even if you are able to clean it, if the stains have set into the padding, it will probably keep coming back.

• Linda

I would rent a Rug Doctor machine with the Rug Doctor cleaning solution. This should give you the best and easiest fix.

• Debi53

I agree about the professional cleaning, but if you want to do it yourself try Capture Dry Carpet Cleaning. It uses a pre-mist spray and a dry powder that you sprinkle on, work in, leave for 30+ minutes, and vacuum. I have used this for many years. It is safe for children and pets. You might have do do more than one treatment, but I have had great success with this.

• Susan

Depends on color. BUT. I have for years used greased lightening (Home Depot /Lowe’s) squirt - rub with damp dish cloth and it shud take a little while to dry. Repeat if necessary

i hav done this on different color carpets as well as wool rugs as well as designer hand made rugs. Just use a spritz. Don’t try to saturate

good luck on ur stain

before I clean carpets I also ‘pretreat ‘ dirty spots with this product and then continue with my carpet cleaner. I have white -off white carpets in. Bedrooms -btw. Bad choice. And have gotten up 95% of stains.

Susan

• Jill Ron Pike

Tear it up and start over with a hard surface. Much healthier and easier to clean

• Janice Tyree

I rent a rug Doctor steam cleaner. I use tide and Borox in addition to the rug Doctor carpet cleaner. The hotter the water to put in the steamer the better. I take a large stock pot, fill it up with water and put it on my stove and heat until it's very hot, but not boiling. Fill the tank up with the very hot water and put another pot on the stove. Repeat until all the carpet is cleaned. Add the original tide and Borox together with the rug Doctor cleaner. The rug Doctor cleaner has a protective that will help the carpet in the future from getting stained. Helps enough to use. Clean the carpet with the steamer. It will leave very little water residue behind. Does a great job and smells good as well.

• Robyn Garner

I would first try rubbing alcohol on all the stains to remove anything that is animal or biological. Once the nap is "down" the fibers have been broken by years of traffic and dirt. You'll only get it "so-so" in the end. Budget for new flooring next.

• Terrie deutch

Call a professional steam cleaning company. The machines that you can rent are GROSS and who knows what the user before you cleaned up!