Sonia
Sonia
  • San Juan, PR
Asked on Jan 10, 2019

How do I cover the gap between the wall and the door?

Shore grandmomLinda SikutNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CA

I am in the process of remodeling the bathroom and one of the changes that more work is giving is the bathroom door. I want to install a farmdoor. The issue is the privacy of the bathroom. As you know, the farmdoor is nothing more than a sliding door in another style. How do I cover the gap between the wall and the door?

• That is the issue with barn doors. And why I would think twice about using one if you want a "sealed" room. Not a lot you can do. Does is matter? Are there people hovering outside the bathroom?

• Linda Sikut

Hi Sonia,

This is Linda. You aren't the only person with this problem. It seem like most people try to fix this with trim, but you have to be careful based on the entire length of the opening. Here's a discussion about this same topic, Maybe it will help you.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2564512/how-would-you-fill-the-gap-in-these-sliding-barn-doors

• Shore grandmom

It's very hard to cover that gap. Like Naomie said, why use a barndoor for a bathroom if you're concerned about privacy? Also, when putting in a barndoor, make sure there is nothing on the wall that the door will be sliding on. No light switches, outlets or hvac vents. You won't be able to hang pictures or put a robe hook on the door either.