Linda Lavine
Linda Lavine
  • San Marcos, CA
Asked on Jan 10, 2019

How can I use contact paper to cover tile on a vanity?

Linda SikutKathy Gunter LawWilliam
+1

My home has 3x3 builder grade tile on vanity. Super ugly. No money or major skill to replace it. Could I put contact paper on it and if so would the grout lines be a problem? If not contact paper any ideas?

• Kelli L. Milligan

You can paint it. There are kits for that sold at Home Depot. Step by step instructions are in the kit.

I doubt contact paper would hold or look good on a uneven surface.

Rustoleum or Homax tub and tile paint kits.

• Kathy Gunter Law

You will be able to see the lines through the contact paper. Plus I think it would be difficult to get it put down properly. Perhaps you could add grout to it so that it would be level and less of an issue.

You could paint the tile with a kit.

Since it's only the vanity, consider disguising the "ugly" with things like a mirrored vanity tray or other items. I prefer a vanity that has little to nothing on it but until you can do something else with it, that might be your best bet.

• Linda Sikut

Hi Linda,

This is Linda too. :) If you use contact paper, it will certainly show the tiles. Instead, you could paint it. There are tile paint kits available but you don't need a kit to do this. You could also stencil some or all of the tiles, if you like that look. Just remember that PREPARATION is key to a successful job and don't skimp on that part. Here's a tutorial showing how to paint ceramic tiles from one of my favorite websites. I hope this helps you. Wishing you the best.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/paint-ceramic-tile-countertop-33880.html