Linda Augustosky
Linda Augustosky
  • Rock, WV

My Solution to the One Spot in the Garden Where Nothing Will Grow

I've lived in this house for over 30 years and there is one spot that I could never get grass, flowers or anything else to grow. My solution? A rock "garden" of sorts. I've always been fascinated with rocks and to make it even more interesting I live in the tiny small town of Rock, West Virginia!
rock garden backyard stone, gardening, landscape
I went into the woods behind our house and carried bucket after bucket of rocks to create this "garden". It was so much fun to create it, almost like a jigsaw puzzle. I lined it with solar lights and put a solar birdbath on the side.
The rock garden has a magnolia tree on the right side and it is where most of my bird feeders hang. It's really hard to keep the fallen seed off the path because we have hundreds of birds that visit us year round.

• Sharon Russell

I see, by re-reading these posts, that a couple of years ago I commented on this site! Here I go again! We just returned from a trip to the West Coast. Along the way, we stopped 3 times and got a rock...from a riverbed, a mountain turn out, and a building that has significant meaning to us. I've tucked them into our garden, and using a Sharpie, have written on them where they came from as a lasting memory. We won't be making this trip again. I also picked up a can of clear spray sealant, and plan to just cover my writing. I've had the idea for years since visiting a friend out of state, who brought home a rock from each of her travels, and now has a personalized lifetime memory of where she's been...

• Mary Profilio

I still love this ides, I shared this and liked it years ago and I still love it. great job.