Asked 6 days ago

How do I find the cause of rotting wooden planks in my basement?

Bryan's WorkshopNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CAWilliam
+5

I just came from inspecting my basement and saw several examples of the wooden planks appearing to have rotted areas but there is no leaking in my basement. The house is only about 4 years old. Does wood sometimes just get like this over time or could it be termites or maybe something else? I have attached photos of what appears to be the the biggest problem area.

q just noticed some rotting wood in wooden planks in my basement

rafter beam attached to ceiling of the basement

• Gk

I don't think that's wood rot. I think it's just a knot. The wood doesn't appear to have ever been wet. It is not discolored or stained and the chipboard behind it looks brand new. Some wood has a lot of knots in it, especially when you purchase a lower grade wood. Sometimes the inside of the knot will come out and this is what it looks like.

• Michael Patton

thank you very much!

Agree! Looks like knot not rot. Hey that rhymes  You can use a two part epoxy to fill it in. Cover with blue painters tape until it hardens. You can also use Bondo, auto body filler to fill it in. Wood putty may pop out but you can try it.

• You might have something, but I am not sure what. I would call an exterminator for a consultation. Are you having annual inspections? For a house as new as yours, every other year is sufficient. Better to catch early, less cost to remediate.

• Bryan's Workshop
    5 hours ago

That's a pitch pocket! What are these planks doing? I'd love to see pictures further away. Depending on where this plank is and its purpose, you'll want to 'stabilize' it, not fix or fill it. Bondo is too hard and will crack with temperature changes. For a quick fix, use an outdoor/exterior wood filler or a glazing putty.

• Bryan's Workshop
      31 minutes ago

Sounds like floor joists. You have nothing to worry about. What you see is a separation that the tree filled with resin. The builders would not have used wood that would adversely affect the strength of your house.