Asked on Jan 11, 2019

How far from a window should a Dieffenbachia plant be?

Lynn SorrellNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CAFiddledd224
+1

I always have problems growing this plant. Where in the house is the best place to put it? Away from the window, partial light, or direct sun?Kathy

• Pg

I had one years ago, and it got huge when I moved it away from the window, and put it in a far corner of my dining room, which was about 12 feet from the window. Only thing was that no matter where I put it, the leaves would yellow and fall off except for the very end of the stalk. By the window though, the leaves would actually dry out and fall off, so I am sure whether I was better off or not. Yes, it lived and grew tall, although the stem tended to corkscrew, but the leaves still fell off. Best of luck to you.

• Fiddledd224

I'd give it filtered light with 1:1 mix of full sun and partial shade. Turn the plant frequently for balance.

• See if these help you!

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/dumb-cane/growing-dumbcane-dieffenbachia.htm

https://plantcaretoday.com/dieffenbachia-plant-care.html

Mine does best in an East facing room not too close to the window. I am in zone 9 where it gets pretty hot in summer. I keep it out of the draft of the heater or a.c..

• Lynn Sorrell

Bright light,no sun, it is a caning variety plant so it will always loose the leaves from bottom up. They are tropical so need humidity/misting no drafts(cold or warm/hot) It will grow leaning towards light source so best to turn it quarter turns when top leaves begin to bend towards light source. They need good drainage dry thoroughly between full watering (add water til it runs thru bottom) draining off excess then dry thoroughly again.Keep root bound for more top growth. You can cut off top and retstart for additional plants,bottom will resprout. Most diffenbachia will start additional plants from underground runners which begin to grow when plant is more rootbound.These house plants are toxic(milky sap) to house pets & kids, affects the throat hence the name "dumbcane".