Asked on Jan 12, 2019

How do I clean hardwood flooring?

JeanMaryVimarhonor
+3

What is the best cleaner and the best system to apply the cleaner for your hard wood flooring

• Pamela

I use warm water and vinegar . I have a swifter type mop that I can fill with any cleaning solution I want . It came with 2 microfiber pads that are washable , and can also be used with the generic disposable pads . Once a year I use a product called quick shine made by Halloway House , this can be found in supermarkets or k mart.

Make sure you get the one for wood floors , they make several types for different floor types. This product seals the floor you can use up to 7 coats , that would give you a bowling alley type finish . I use 1 or 2 coats . My 65 year old floors look great !

• Pamela

Ok, thanks for the info , my hardwood floors are light in color was not aware of the issue of using vinegar on dark woods .

• Vimarhonor

Hello-We have had hardwood floors in our 7 different homes and have used a lot of HW floor products over the years. We stopped using the steam mop when it started blistering off the finish at the seams on a new traditional oil based sealed oak hw floor installation.

The past two years we have been using the BONA mop and solution and we’re very pleased with the results.

https://us.bona.com/products/hardwood-floor-mop.html

• Mary

Strongly advise against Bona! May look ok for a year or two, but there will be a white polish build-up eventually. You will be sorry you used anything but pure vinegar and water.

• Jean

We had enough problems using vinegar Shouldn't need anything harsh wood floors wipe clean easily with a little dishwashing detergent. I've used Bona on my 160 year old pine floors also very good.