Asked on Jan 12, 2019

How can I remove old tiles from the kitchen splashboard?

Simple Decorating TipsCarrie @ Curly Crafty MomCher

I'm trying to remove old tiles from the kitchen splashboard. They used a very strong plaster and the tiles are small.

• Cher

Do you have a multi tool? An oscillating one? They have different attachments for so many projects! It can remove tile easily! They sand, cut wood and metal, scrape.... I got mine at Harbor Freight for $30. I LOVE IT!

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

In some cases, the only way to tear out the ceramic tile is with heavy equipment such as a jackhammer or air chisel. Use a long-handled floor scraper to scrape away tile fragments and any old adhesive residue. After all the tiles are removed, you may need to smooth the subfloor with a sander. Be sure to cover sink to protect it and remove outlet covers, microwave (if you have one) and to protect the countertops as well.

• Simple Decorating Tips

Sadly sometimes tile removal includes sheetrock removal. Once it's off you would need to re-sheetrock.