Bill Casto
Bill Casto
  • Proctorville, OH
Asked on Jan 12, 2019

How do I paint my ceilings?

OlivaGkMary
+3

I want to paint my ceilings. Do you use white egg shell paint? Or gloss? Etc? I know on walls you use egg shell.

• Debra Y

Flat white ceiling paint or you can use colors

• Semi gloss or gloss ceiling paint. I prefer gloss on ceilings, much easier to clean. I have never in my life used eggshell finish. I have many pets and need easy to clean surfaces. But that's just me and I use what suits my household. Mind you I wash my walks monthly. Go to a proper paint store, not a home improvement center for best recommendations.

I agree with flat white ceiling paint or have it tinted to a color. But it's actually a personal choice. On walls I use semi gloss. It IS easier to keep clean. Gloss on trim.

• Mary

You can paint it any color that you want and I suppose you could use gloss if you wanted to do something different, but most people use flat ceiling paint. If the room is a dark one, I'd use a bright white and if it's not, a flat white or off white.

• Gk

You can buy paint specifically made for ceilings. When the paint is wet it is lightly tinted so you see the color and where you have painted--when it dries the color disappears.

• Oliva

Hi, Bill,

If your ceilings are lower than 8', using a satin finish paint will bounce more light and make your ceilings appear taller. If your ceilings are 8' or taller, or have surface imperfections, flat finish paints are more often used.