Asked on Jan 12, 2019

How do I get rid of mice?

JoanneJo   HaireAl
+2

• Kelli L. Milligan

I finally used mice poison

TOM CAT. they left and died somewhere else. Fought them for 5 months using home made detergents, humane traps. After 40+ mice I used the poison.

• Kathy

Borrow a cat. Worked for me.

• Al

Well, I have developed an affinity for deer mice and do not kill anything and certainly do not poison anything. Poisoning mice either leaves them to die in your walls or getting outside where a cat, dog, bird, raccoon, fox or other animal may eat it before or after it dies and also become fatally poisoned. I have a rescued family of deer mice, in a 10 gal. aquarium, which individually come over and bump my finger every morning as a greeting. I can pet them and they do play with me, but I don't hold them. I have never been bitten by them and if I stick my finger in their nest, they will either nibble on my nail, or push my finger back out with their paws. They can open a sunflower seed like it has a zipper, nibbling along the edge and extracting the seed with their tiny hands!

The Havahart small animal trap is very good, although somewhat expensive. It has a tilting pan, on which I place a walnut with a little peanut butter on. You then raise the doors on each end, learn how to set the wires so the tilting releases the doors, gravity takes over and they lock closed. If you intend to relocate the mouse and do not have time for a couple of days, a cap of water and some food, along with some bedding material, like torn up kleenex, will make them happy and they can be relocated at your convenience.

Tractor supply has a reasonable trap (about $8) which works very well, made by J. T. Eaton, called the Repeater Mouse Trap. This works be placing it close to a wall, even without bait, relying on rodent curiosity to go inside. I also have one and do put some sunflower seeds or walnuts inside, to give them something until I can release them. The advantage of this one is that it can trap more than one at a time. It has a clear top and entire lid door for releasing them.

Hope this has been of some help.

• Jo Haire

Use dryer sheets and plug the smaller hole with steel wool

• Joanne

Go to Lowe’s and ask for “Repel All” It contains herbs like Rosemary and lots of other herbs critters including snakes don’t like. I’ve used it around the base of my house for years. They smell that and they’re not sticking around. You can also plant rosemary around the base of your house.