Kathy
Kathy
Asked on Jan 12, 2019

How do I protect a TV over a fireplace?

Mar7331663LisaKathy Gunter Law
+1

I want to put the television over the fireplace but my husband says that is not good for the tv. Can I get another opinion please?

• Kelli L. Milligan

As long as you have a mantel and the logs are where they should be you'll be ok. I've never had a client get their tv ruined by fireplace heat.

• Kathy Gunter Law

I’ve had mine over the fireplace for 9 years with no problems.

• Lisa

That is the second place I've told my hubby I won't have a TV - no TV in the bedroom and none above my lovely fireplace! But it is personal preference, after all. It also depends on how often you use your fireplace. If this is a fireplace with a wood stove insert that you use to keep your house warm, I wouldn't recommend it. However, if you only use your fireplace on occasion, there shouldn't be a problem. Most chimneys are lined, especially in new construction.

• Mar7331663

Not sure about how your fireplace is set up but some TV warranties wont cover a tv over a fireplace so that would be the place to start. How much warranty is left. Some fireplaces don't have much of a mantel so this allows heat to rise to it. Mantels 12 or more inches deep are a little safer. Not sure put some kind of thermostat on the mantle near the edge when the fire is going and watch it for a couple of days.