Easy Under-Cabinet Kitchen Shelf

$0

Using scrap wood and 2 spindles, I created this perfectly sweet farmhouse shelf for my kitchen.

I am always making something new from something old!

Perfectly DeStressed

easy under cabinet kitchen shelf

I picked out a few wood pieces from my scrap pile/box to use for the shelf. I wanted to take the possible pieces to the kitchen to get a better idea for "under the counter" size preference.

easy under cabinet kitchen shelf

I used an "oops" color of green that we purchased last year from the hardware store.

Originally I debated what I wanted the depth of the shelf to be. I wound up going with the larger wood piece on the left.

I mean, go BIG or go home, right?!

easy under cabinet kitchen shelf

These particular spindles were removed from an unsalvagable wood table. But, new spindles at the hardware store are fairly inexpensive. I cut them in half using my handy dandy rotary tool. If you are a crafter and don't have one of these, stop what you are doing right now and get one! Worth every penny!

easy under cabinet kitchen shelf

All the spindles. Cut, sanded and cleaned. Ready to paint!

easy under cabinet kitchen shelf

I did use washers to secure the wood screws I was drilling from inside the cabinet. Although I knew I wouldn't be putting anything heavy on the shelf, I like to ere on the side of caution....sometimes...

easy under cabinet kitchen shelf

Here she is! Absolutely adorable and the perfect holder for my favorite cookbook! It would also make a great storage solution for coffee mugs, wine glasses or even dishes!

Perfectly DeStressed

• Heje

Did you fasten it by using screws drilled through the bottom of the cupboard?

• Shirley

Dear Perfectly: We all need to know what's with the white fence facsimile under your very cute green shelf!

• Stephanie

What is going on underneath it?

• Debra McMenamin

Beautiful kitchen! Love the shelf.

• Irma

I am doing this as soon as I put all the Christmas stuff away... and have some room to work!

I love the extra space it gives! I also want to see more of the kitchen... The little shelf on the side of the cabinet by the window... the scroll work detail under the sink... and the wood above the window.

Thanks for the inspiration!